Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Haciendo Caldo: Break from the Prep

I figure I can't really make any Pre-Thanksgiving foods today.  Tomorrow will be a whirlwind with pie and mashed potato baking.  I'll put the stuffing together and get the second turkey ready for roasting on Thursday.

But today I was being a bit nostalgic.....tear-jerker alert for my sisters and my Mom.....

I was thinking of the times when it would be so cold at the farm where my dad worked for 16 years. There was nothing out there to do because of snow or high winds so Dad would get the day off and head home before we were out for school.  He would usually make a big pot of beef soup....caldo....for when we got home.

It was the perfect soup!  He used beef short ribs braised in oil and added potatoes, veggies, water or broth, seasonings, and finally cabbage.  We would eat this with saltine crackers.  He wouldn't add salt because of the saltines.  I would line my crackers around the edges of my bowl and allow them to soak up the broth, pick them up, and watch them drop back into the bowl.  It was saltine and soup mush that was so yummy!

To make this soup, I used 4 quarts of the beef broth I made last week.

Isn't that a great color?!
 Next, I added 2 stalks of chopped celery, 1 chopped onion, 2 cups of sliced carrots.....


and 2 pint sized jars of canned, stewed tomatoes.


I also didn't have the heart to feed the beef from the soup bones I made the stock out of to the dog.  So I bagged it up and thought I'd use it later.  I added about 1 1/2 lbs. of beef to the pot along with 6 potatoes I cut into large chunks.

YUM!
I brought the whole thing to a rolling boil, reduced the heat, and am letting it simmer for about 35 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through.  After that I'll add about a 1/2 head of roughly cut up cabbage.  You could shred the cabbage, but I like large cabbage pieces in my soup.

To this wonderful pot of yumminess, I'll add a side of cornbread made from scratch.  This will ensure that the picky eaters who won't eat soup will at least eat cornbread for supper....sneaky Mommy!

I just put my nose up to the pot to take a little sniff, and I was so happy.  It smells just like my Dad's caldo.  It felt like a big hug from him!

¡Buen Provecho!

2 comments:

  1. Grace, I'm thinking of you and your sweet papa this morning. My daddy made great soup, too! Reading this makes me want to whip up a big pot for this cold January day...and while I do so, I'll offer up prayers for you & yours. Are you going to the Well Read Mom conference on January 10th? Maybe we can meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I'm not attending the conference. Our leader, I believe, will go for Marcie's talk. The rest of us in the group opted not to attend. Have a great time...it would have been great to meet up.:) Happy New Year!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...