Monday, August 5, 2013

Mystery Ingredient Monday: Blueberries

I wanted to link up to Jessica and friends' meme, but I don't know if they are doing it this week.  Jessica announced the ingredient, but I didn't see a linky widget.  If it shows up, I'll link this post.  However, I have lots of blueberries....the season is late this year....and I didn't want to deprive you of the awesomeness!  We have been enjoying all the antioxidants of these wonderful little delicacies.

I usually make coffee cakes or muffins with them, but I thought I'd try something a little different.


This is Watermelon Blueberry Salsa!

I took the recipe from The Healthy Foodie.  However, I had to modify my recipe just a bit.  I couldn't find a Lebanese cucumber nor a papaya.  So I substituted an English cuc and a mango.  I also used dried Rosemary and ground ginger since I didn't have either of those fresh.  The kids watched me chop, mix, and toss this together and were very apprehensive about an onion and a jalape├▒o getting mixed in with fruit!

I new Paul would love it.  He loves all things eclectic and always has a sense of adventure.  I laid this out in three glass bowls on a bright yellow rectangular platter.  I love the way the platter made the mango pop in this picture!


Well, they gobbled it up.  Monica couldn't tell me exactly what she liked about it....the lime juice, the sweet vs. heat, the crunch.  Who knows?  All, I know is they ate every. last. bite!  So you can bet I'll be making this again!  You can find the recipe by clicking HERE.

8 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - We have lots of blueberries here as well. Will definitely try this one. Did you use it as a topper for anything like crackers or chips or poultry or anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I served it with plain tortilla chips. I had to open a new bag because broken chip pieces won't work. You need large-ish chips to be able to handle the heft of all the chunks. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love the serving bowls and platter! Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fun meme.:). I think I got those last Christmas....can't remember.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this looks delicious. A great dish to bring to parties and wow people, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Exactly....now I just need a party to bring it to. I'm running out of summer.:(

      Delete
  4. Yum! There's a global grocery near me, I'm going to look for Lebanese cucumbers next time I'm there. I've bought papaya before, but I always wait too long to cut it. I wonder if Sea Salt pita chips would work with your salsa. They are very thick and durable. Next week's link up is at Tasha's. Sorry for the confusion! I'm glad you participated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure pita chips would work great. Good luck!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...