Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: We're Alive!

After almost a week of someone or other being sick, I'm finally feeling like I am among the land of the living.  I was achy and had chills Tuesday and Wednesday, but life was still going on.  Just because the parents are sick does not mean the children who are well are willing to sacrifice their schedules.  It was good not to get too far behind so we did try to keep some things going like classes, basketball practices,  and make-up lessons.  Amazingly, the boys are still going strong and haven't missed a day of school yet.  I'm hoping that if they do get sick it's over the weekend.

Lucas now has a private tutor at the school to help bring him up to speed with his Spanish reading.  The vocabulary will come in time.  His immersion of the language has to go beyond the school and into our home which has had me tuning in to Latin radio stations using the IHeart Radio App. and picking up software for the computer.  The best I can do is to speak to the kids more frequently in Spanish.  This isn't very easy as I find that I'm yelling more than talking to the kids.  It makes me aware that a lot of our conversations aren't conversations at all but rather commands, whining, and more commands!

Very Real!


Before the illness, however, we were able to get the cookies finished for the Little Flowers Snowflake Dance.  Here are the boxes ready for a few last minute touches....


The designs were simple, tasteful, and elegant.  The final product (we thought) was Very Pretty!


I included this pic so you can see that we individually seal each cookie using an impulse sealer.
The hostess for the dance added a gift tag and ribbon which made the packaging extra special.

In the midst of all the illness, Maria was able to capture a little glimpse of the contentment in nature around the backyard.  This bluejay was sitting on a branch outside trying to stay warm.



Funny

I sometimes wonder if our birds ever get teased by the outside birds.  TX Grandma sent a Christmas gift to the kids....the movie Rio.  I saw this scene and had to chuckle at wild vs. domesticated birds!

Alice and Chloe (Canadian Geese) make fun of Blu,
a domesticated Blue Macaw, as he enjoys hot cocoa and cookies
from his comfortable home/book store.
"Winter is better INSIDE!" says Stormy.

To help the Spanish Immersion Cause underway in our home, I did a scan for Spanish books on Craig's List.  I found the SWEETEST deal from a former High School Spanish teacher who was getting rid of her library.  I bought almost 50 books from her!  We negotiated a price which is way under the value of what I came away with.  That made me Very Happy!  The kids found it strange that some of their favorite stories have been translated into Spanish.  Little do they know the world over also reads these and similar books!




 Find more Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real posts by visiting Leila and her daughters over at LMLD!

14 comments:

  1. Your bluejays seem more white than ours; and that one has a benign look about him which makes me laugh - they are so pretty, but lack finesse! Always throwing seeds around and bullying the other birds. If they would just keep still and be beautiful! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one was frozen stiff!;) I was going to write something about how we detest the bluejays in Spring and Summer, but I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!!:)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I wish I could get a steal like that for French books! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For books here, Craig's List is the way to go!

      Delete
  3. I have to admit, I'm not a fan of Bluejays, but your picture really is pretty! The cookies are really pretty, and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love Maria's pictures! Now if I could just get her as excited about her schoolwork! The cookies are a fun pastime.

      Delete
  4. Your cookies are gorgeous! So elegant! And I hear you about the bluejays. The are pretty but so persnickety and mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, the bluejays....a beautiful pest.;)

      Delete
  5. Love the Spanish books. I keep telling myself that I need to look for books for our French lessons. I hadn't thought of Craig's list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was one class short of a minor in Spanish. Will I speak it? NO! My husband speaks so well. I keep telling our sitter - make me speak Spanish, make the kids speak Spanish, but I am not setting a good example. Maybe I will do that for Lent. The cookies look so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spanish for Lent....I love it!!! Thanks for the cookie comment. I might have to make some in your honor for TX Independence Day. I have the cutest cutters for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, have you heard of Caspar Babypants? We have several of his cds at the library, and love them! Anyway, listen to this http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Caspar+Babypants+bad+blue+jay and turn up the volume!! It's more than cute. Bad Blue Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Jane & Nick loved it! It was cute to see Nick dancing and Jane singing, "Yes, Sir." I'll have to check that CD out from the library or at least request it. Perfect for those pesky blue jays.;)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...