Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: Baking Joy!

Pretty

We had a cookie order to fill so we were busy baking and decorating this weekend.  I think these cookies turned out the prettiest.




Happy

Baking and decorating cookies make us all very happy.  In spite of all the homework they had to do, Monica and Maria were front and center with the decorating.  Maria, as always, helped me with the colors.  She does such a great job mixing and coming up with the right shades.  I don't know what I would do without her.  Monica and Molly are getting steadier with the icing bottles which helps tremendously.  Hand decorating takes a lot of time and patience.  There is so much inspiration on the web, but you ultimately have to do the work!  Have competent helpers is a so wonderful.





Funny

We've been busy celebrating the nights of the O Antiphons....

O Wisdom....the kids received a set of the CGS Little Gospels which are new this season, a book on Our Lady of Guadalupe, and a board book of the 12 Days of Christmas

O Adonai....the kids made these gingerbread cake houses.  True gingerbread houses just don't get eaten so when I saw this Nordic Ware mold for making cake houses, I was on it!







Jane was more interested in eating the decorations than in decorating the houses!





They had so much fun making their houses and using my decorating supplies!

Real

I won't overwhelm your server with more pictures, but as you can see from the cookie pictures up above, I'm still playing around with lighting and editing.  I have a light box that I set up downstairs in my craft room for photographing our cookies.  The box helps a lot, but I think I have the wrong lightbulbs in the lamps that I use for lighting.  I made my light box out of tag board for about $8.00.  I bought the lamps online from Walmart which can be found in the automotive section.  A diffuser would help a lot, too.  I'm waiting for 2013 for that purchase!  The other trick is angles so I do a lot of standing on chairs and stools and use my zoom lens to get the right shots.  It's all very tedious, but I LOVE it!

I use the ironing board to adjust the box to the right height.  The iron and starch are readily available in case there are shirts to iron!;)


Unfortunately, there is not a lot of natural light in my craft room.  Fluorescent lights in the room can be good or a problem depending on what I want to accomplish.  There are so many factors to lighting.  Ugh!  I'm linking up with Leila so you can go see more PHFR posts by clicking here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh so beautiful...ALL the pictures. Those dove cookies would be great for Confirmation; do you ship orders?
    I think the gingerbread house cake mold is an excellent investment...that's the excuse I'll use. :o) Enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting again! I do ship orders. You can email me personally at Pnglittlefieldatgmaildotcom. Also, you can check out other dove cookies we've made over at our cookie site: http://yousmartcookie.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. Grace, your cookies are perfect, as always. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa!:) Merry Christmas to you as well!!

      Delete
  3. Your cookies are exquisite! Makes me a little less impressed with the simple decorating I did this year, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Any kind of decorating is a labor of love in my book!;) BTW...you have a beautiful baby girl.:) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Your cookies are outrageously pretty!!
    And your light box is ingenious. I really need to figure something like that out. It's just so dark here, and my craft area doubly so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the cookie compliment, Leila! We love trying different techniques, and the girls are getting better and better. I wonder what skill they will have when they are my age!:) The light box wasn't my idea. I know I got that off the internet somewhere. I think it was The Bearfoot Baker....she's an EXCELLENT cookie decorator.;)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...