Tuesday, August 21, 2012

She's Thirteen!

Birthdays are not my forte.  I usually forget and try to throw something together last minute.  Well, in some cases that is.  Sometimes the kids give me a little something to go on like saying, "Mom, I'd like to have a birthday party."  Then I go nuts with all the ideas.  But with Monica, she's just not like that.  I have to push myself to remember the kid's birthday because she doesn't make a big deal about it.  I was inspired by Charlotte's beautiful themed birthday spread for her thirteen year old.  I loved the colors, the cake, and the literary theme.  I floated the idea by Monica way back when which she liked, but then we dropped it.  However, last night I started thinking about it again....yes, last night!

I decided to print off pictures of some of the characters from the books she's read over the last few months....Emma (Gwyneth Paltrow), the Hobbit (can't wait to see the movie!!!), Anne of Green Gables, Nancy Drew, and the Baudelaire children from A Series of Unfortunate Events.  I mounted them on pink construction paper and used the black table tents that I made for Paul's parent's 50th Anniversary.  I knew I'd use those again for something!




I woke Daddy up early, pushed him out of bed, and sent him to the grocery store for cake mix, frosting, balloons, and roses plus a few of her favorite foodie things....Cool Ranch Doritos and Cinnamon Toast Crunch!


Auntie Nora's (her Godmother) gift came in the mail just after breakfast.  Oh, the excitement was awesome!









This is the US Olympic Soccer Team's official flag.  She proudly hung it up from her window sill!

Finally, we had to come up with a cake.  I bought a few things a few months ago that I saw at a store....black and white cupcake liners, candles, and pink icing spray.  I randomly gather things when I'm out without the kids.  Sometimes they come in handy.  The black and white wrapping paper I amazingly had in my stash.  Then I had to find stacking boxes.  It seems Amy Atlas, party maven, is always stacking things.  I decided to go with the ever-popular ombré theme and made ascending layers of shades of pink atop the boxes.  I think it came out pretty good.






Happy 13th Birthday, Clare Bear!  We Love You!

6 comments:

  1. You continue to amaze me! How wonderful that you pulled all this together to help her day be so special. Make sure you wish her a happy birthday from all of us over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I will gladly pass on your good wishes.:)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post. I have to tell you, Grace, there is an altar server at the 4 pm Mass at St. Stephen in Valrico who looks so much like your sweet daughter, Monica. I see her each week and always think of your family -- really!!! And, how wonderful that you were able to pull together such a wonderful party for her special 13th birthday. The look on her face in your pics is really heartwarming and so sweet - she is so pleased! So touching to a mother's heart - You done good, Grace!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy!:) That's amazing that you see a girl each week that looks like Monica at your parish. Hope all is going well with you with the nursing. I just got another order for baptism cookies going to Maryland for November. I thought of you.:)

      Delete
    2. Funny that you should mention cookies - I am already thinking of Thanksgiving cookies :)

      Delete
    3. Hee, hee, hee....Thanksgiving cookies are my favorites to make!;)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...