Tuesday, August 14, 2012

School Plans

I hesitate writing a post on homeschool plans because it seems I plan only to see myself, or us rather, veer off the path which leaves me with feelings of failure or disappointment, at best.  However, maybe what we have planned for the kids for the year would help someone out there to think outside the box in terms of their homeschooling.  Our model is a homeschool hybrid model because we draw from several sources, not all Catholic, for homeschooling the kids.  The outcomes have been favorable, and we've never had problems with topics being discussed too early or slams on the Catholic faith.  We are also fortunate here in the Twin Cities to have many homeschool coops, tutoring programs that are Catholic, Protestant and non-denominational, and several retired teachers willing to share their talents.

We also school year round so there's not really been an extended break just changes to the schedule.  For example, sports only happen during certain seasons, music lessons continue through the summer, online courses follow the regular school year, and we take a break from art classes when we get tired.  Another skill I have taken from Unschooling is strewing.  When the kids seem to be a bit burnt out from regular schedules and book work, I simply strew books around the house on shelves, in baskets, leave them out where the kids will find them, or change them out in their bed rooms.  I call it invisible control because it gives me the satisfaction of knowing we're still on something of a path, and the kids get a break to read whatever and whenever they want.  Gabe has done a lot of his learning this way.  That kid really resists formal, at-the-kitchen table homeschooling.  He does best hiding around the house reading books.  He's way above grade level for reading and his retention and comprehension are incredible.  He's not able to write very well, and he could be further along in Math, but I'm doing well not worrying about him!

Monica - 8th grade

History:  Memoria Press Online School - US History
Math:  New Elementary Math Syllabus D 2....Turns out the Math tutor was diagnosed with cancer and cannot continue tutoring Mon and Maria at this time.  Therefore, we have a temp. tutor who has agreed to help Mon in the interim.  She's a second cousin who graduated from the U of M, has a Masters degree from the U of Chicago, and taught middle school math last year for Teach America.  I'm excited about it!
Latin:  Memoria Press Online School - Third Form
Literature:  ARCHES, Lino Lakes, MN - Literature II course
Composition:  ARCHES, Lino Lakes, MN - Comp. II course
Greek:  YEAH Academy, Roseville, MN
Science:  Apologia Chemistry CD set on her own with help from mom
Religion:  Evening School of Religion, St. Charles Borromeo Parish, Confirmation Class
Choir:  St. Agnes Children's Choir, St. Paul, MN
Music:  Piano & Violin, Hovland Prep., Arden Hills, MN
Soccer (Fall), Bball (Winter):  St. Charles School
Art:  weekly in home lesson with area artist

We actually did make these nifty cover pages a few months back, but I had forgotten about them.



Maria - 6th grade

History:  American History/American Revolution Lapbooks
Math:  Singapore Math 6A & 6B
Latin:  2nd Form Latin done with 2 other home-schooled gals (8th grader & 7th grader) in our neighborhood.  They have been gathering for 1 hour per week, watch the DVD, and start on their workbook.  It's my job to help Maria with her workbook, help her review, and give her a weekly quiz.
Literature:  YEAH Academy, Roseville, MN
Composition:  Writing Foundations Writing Basics I Email Course on her own
German:  The Learnables CD set on her own
Science:  Astronomy Lapbook with mom
Religion:  Evening School of Religion, SCB Parish; Catechesis of the Good Shepherd - St. Francis Cabrini Parish Level 3 Atrium
Choir:  St. Agnes Children's Choir, St. Paul, MN
Music:  Piano, Hovland Prep., Flute - Mrs. Mackerman, Private Teacher in her home
Bball (Winter):  St. Charles School
Art:  weekly in home lesson with area artist



Molly - 4th grade

History:  D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths with mom
Math:  Singapore Math 4A & 4B with mom
Latin:  Latina Christiana I DVD set done here in our home on her own
Lit & Comp:  Writing Foundations Writing Basics I Email Course with mom & Monica
Grammar, Geography, Handwriting:  Costco 4th Grade Basics Workbook on her own
Religion:  Evening School of Religion, SCB Parish...I'm the teacher!; Catechesis of the Good Shepherd - St. Francis Cabrini Parish Level 3 Atrium
Choir:  St. Agnes Children's Choir, St. Paul, MN
Music:  Piano, Hovland Prep.
Soccer (Fall):  St. Anthony Village Sports Boosters
Bball (Winter):  St. Charles School
Gymnastics:  St. Anthony Village Comm. Educ.
Art:  weekly in home lesson with area artist



Lucas - 2nd grade

History:  American History/Am. Revolution Lapbook
Math:  Singapore Math 2A & 2B with mom
Grammar, Geography, Handwriting:  Costco 2nd Grade Basics Workbook with mom
Religion:  ESR, SCB Parish Communion Class; Catechesis of the Good Shepherd - St. Francis Cabrini Parish Level 3 Atrium

Choir:  St. Agnes Children's Choir, St. Paul, MN
Music:  Piano, Hovland Prep.
Soccer (Fall):  St. Anthony Village Sports Boosters
Small Scale Building/Aerodynamics:  Location TBD, Retired Area Enthusiast who used to teach grade school children
Lego Robotics:  St. Anthony Village Comm. Educ.
Art:  weekly in home lesson with area artist



Gabe - 1st grade

History:  World War II books from Library on his own
Math:  Singapore 1B & 2A done with mom
Grammar, Geography, Handwriting:  Costco 1st Grade Workbook on his own
Religion:  ESR, SCB Parish 1st grade class; Catechesis of the Good Shepherd - St. Francis Cabrini Parish Level 3 Atrium

Choir:  St. Agnes Children's Choir, St. Paul, MN....maybe
Music:  Piano, Hovland Prep.
Soccer (Fall):  St. Anthony Village Sports Boosters
Small Scale Building/Aerodynamics:  Location TBD, Retired Area Enthusiast who used to teach grade school children
Lego Robotics:  St. Anthony Village Comm. Educ.
Art:  weekly in home lesson with area artist

I got busy and never made a cover page for Gabe.  Honestly, I don't think he would have sat still long enough for me to interview him!

Jane - PreK

Reading:  Hooked on Phonics, Reading Works
Religion:  Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Level II Atrium, St. Frances Cabrini Parish
Creative Dance:  St. Anthony Village Comm. Educ.

And now I'm tired....I wanted to link up so much of the stuff posted here, but I'm hungry and need to go scrounge together dinner for everyone else, too.  So if anyone needs a resource, you can just ask me about it in the comments.  I'd be happy to let you know.:)








4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new school year, Grace! It's great to have a plan. Isn't it? Even if God does lead us down different rabbit trails!

    We're doing some similar things in our school work. We're loving the classical studies, at the moment.

    God bless, Grace:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky! I love having a plan. It's just the implementation that tends to be a difficult one.:( But you know if you don't have a plan then you can plan to fail...eeks that sounds so grim! I love classical studies, and I remember you posting about getting back to more of that. It's exciting....good luck to you all, too!:)

      Delete
  2. I love that you shared this. I am just getting started and I tend to obsess about things until I feel that I've mastered them...maybe not a great attitude to have about homeschool! I am happy with the things I have chosen for us - but math worries me a bit. Glad to see you do Singapore. That's what I chose, and I decided go down 1/2 level with each child since it is different from what they did in school. I hope we are successful with it, because I don't know what alternative to go with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MBJD, I think you will like Singapore for your kiddies. It will really help them conceptually. Most American math curriculums focus on showing kids how to work problems and then do overkill on the drilling of several of those problems so the kid will memorize how to do it. Singapore focuses on the why behind the working of problems. I also like that there's never too much homework for the kids. If we want more, we get the Extra Practice Workbook and the Intensive Practice Workbook. They also have a Challenging Word Problems Wkbk for each level.....they are BIG on word problems. If you have any trouble understanding something, just send me an email and I'd be happy to help you out. The bar models tend to stump people, but they get easier the more kids you do them with.:) Email me anytime at pnglittlefieldatgmaildotcom. If you need my number, I can email that to you, too. Good Luck and Welcome to Homeschooling!:)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...