Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dumping the Big G

Today I attended a protest/rally with Minnesota for Marriage across the street from General Mills Headquarters.  I was so thrilled when a friend e-mailed a group of us moms to see if anyone wanted to join her.  I jumped at the chance!

So after sending off the three oldest girls to theater practice for the afternoon, I headed out with the boys and Jane.  We were asked to bring any General Mills products to donate to a local food shelf in protest for their most recent support for gay marriage.  You can read more about that here.

Here is one of the comments made in support of corporations taking a stance on political issues:

"It's important for business leaders to make that case that this is an economic issue...... It's not just about gays and lesbians, it's about the kind of state we want and it's about attracting young, well-educated, talented workers to the state.We want to make the case that having a welcoming community is in everyone's best economic interest."


Really?  What if I support marriage between one man and a one woman and am backing the amendment in November?  Will I not be welcome in the corporate world?  No, I'm just one silly, little mother who can speak with her actions, her pocketbook, and her kids!  So what about the majority of employees that are in favor of marriage between one man and one woman?  Why aren't companies saying they support them?  If you're going to support one side, you'd better say you support the other.  Or better yet, why not just stay out of it all together?  This is a hot button issue, and they know it.  It's about popularity and the way the culture is portrayed by a few as swaying.   But the majority will be silent no more! 



Gifts from Grandma...Dora Cereal.


Bye Bye, Dora!
So, can we really dump General Mills products?  I say you can.  Here are a few links you can use to help you steer away from packaged cereal.


Homemade Granola
Honeyville Farms (for steel cut oats)


As for the canned products, try generics.  And here's what you can do with any leftover oatmeal....


Leftover Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Curious to know what products are marketed by General Mills?  Here's a link to their brands page.











4 comments:

  1. Makes me glad we eat Paleo now and don't use ANY of those products for many reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you all, Jenny!:) I'll have to ask Paul more about Paleo...I'm curious.;)

      Delete
  2. Good for you Grace! I've signed the online petition and e-mailed General Mills to let them know that this mom of 7 hungry kids will no longer be supporting their company. It's time to put our money where our mouths are! Basically anything with a box top for education is related to General Mills. They are huge and not just in boxed/processed foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I couldn't believe how many things they market. Did you see the list? I actually had to go to my MIL's house to get those boxes of cereal because we didn't have any of their products in our cupboards. Isn't that funny! I very rarely buy anything packaged anymore....homemade is just so much better.:) Hug little Peter for me!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...