Monday, May 7, 2012

When I Have to Sit Down...

I start thinking about all of the things that happen and I try to forget like these...

1.  We were side-swiped by a Toyota Tacoma 2 weeks ago going from Catechesis of the Good Shepherd to Choir.  I don't call Thursday "Hell Thursday" for nothing!  It was a minor fender bender and no one was hurt.  I actually felt awful for the little gal that totally didn't see me and rammed the side of my giant van.  She was shaking and nervous and clearly had a lot going on.  I even wanted to give her a hug after it was all over....the maternal side of me always comes out.  Thankfully, the van was fixed lickety split, and we were reimbursed for our carseat since Jane was sitting in it during the crash.



2.  This leads me to another crazy point.  Sometimes I feel like I'm living this....


There is so much government regulation that instead of making things safe, sometimes they're downright ridiculous.  Take our carseats.  Little did we know they expired in 2008.  I know food expires, but a carseat?  Anyway, we always felt it is roadworthy and I wash it when it gets gunky so I thought we were good.  The insurance company, however, was quick to issue us a check to get our carseat replaced since it was in the accident.  I actually scored 2 new carseats with the money they gave me.  Score!  Now what you saw way back in this post is no longer.


3.  Now for the other crazy happening at our local Catholic High School....

Totino-Grace High School students were evacuated from the Fridley school Friday, but told to remain on campus for nearly four hours after mercury from a thermometer was discovered on the floor of a science classroom.
At 3:30 p.m., school administrators received clearance from emergency personnel that the building was deemed safe and that students could return to collect their belongings. The school was evacuated at 11:45 a.m. School normally ends at 1:50 p.m.
A Hazardous Materials Chemical Assessment Team and the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency found that the mercury was limited to a single classroom and that students were not affected. It had been feared that chemicals might be found on students' shoes.
Parents were alerted by phone and e-mail and updates on the school's web site.
What wasn't mentioned in this version of the article was that the Salvation Army was called in to provide snacks of crackers and water bottles to the students while they waited out the evac.  Sheesh....bigtime eyeroll!  Hey, wait.  This is a Catholic High School and Salvation Army was called?  What is Catholic Services....chopped liva?

Now I don't know about you, but my crazy, older brother and I used to do this with mercury that came from thermometers we used to break in order to have this kind of fun...

OK...maybe this wasn't such a good idea. 

I now know not to do this because Big Brother or rather #1 may come to get me!



4.  I've had an annoying ingrown toenail for the past MONTH!  Now, how does one go about their daily routine, the running of a business, raising 7 children, cooking, cleaning, homeschooling with something that annoying for 1 MONTH?  I know, you're all shaking your heads because you do this, too.  We put things off because we think they're going to heal themselves, we can pray them away and gain a miraculous healing and a ticket to canonization for one of the Venerables, or we play bathroom surgeon to our ailments to avoid "Mother's Hell".....you know, try to find a quiet spot in the house to make a call to make an appointment, have the house turned upside down while you're making the appointment, carve out time to get over to the appointment, find childcare for when you're gone, and make up the missed homeschooling because of said appointment.  That's the Hell I'm talking about!  It's amazing how Daddy can go all of maybe 1 week with an ingrown toenail, but I can go a whole month.  I'm not a saint or a hero.  I'm usually in denial like I was when I sat in the doctor's exam room this afternoon and asked her if I really had to have the toenail excised.  She laughed a little laugh and said, "Yes."  You know what?  I even took two kids with me because I didn't trust they'd be ok while I was gone.

So now I'm sitting here with a bandage the size of 3 of my toes, a cup of tea, and blogging.  I think the kids are at the park.  They'd better be at the park.  I'm putting them in the hands of Our Lady and their Guardian Angels because I can't feel my leg right now.  Anesthesia is a good thing!

5.  And in the case you're not already scandalized by this post, I'm now going to watch the next episode in Season 1 of Mad Men.  I honestly can't get enough of the crazy idiosyncratic 60's!

If the clothes from that dry cleaning bag are on the floor of my closet, you're going to be a very sorry young lady.

This is what happens when I have to sit down....I think thoughts that I'd rather avoid because....well....it's just easier to be busy!

4 comments:

  1. The price of a phone call. It is so true! Hope your toe heals quickly! I didn't know that carseats expired either. Crazy. Glad y'all were ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price of a phone call went up the day that first babe was born!;) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Grace, what a sense of humor you have! :D The mercury thing really made me laugh, but the whole post is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I was in a rather crazy-silly mood.:)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...