Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend Celebrating


I was super excited with a recent post that directed my attention to some incredible 4th of July desserts that can also be made for Memorial Day from Glorious Treats.  You can click here and here to see these cuties.

However, I forgot that I should probably be making a cake for today...Pentecost.  After all, Pentecost does mark the birthday of the Church!  I decided to use the same cake I wanted to make for Memorial Day....the flag cake....and tweak it a bit.


I decided to add 12 strawberry slices for the 12 apostles.  They look like tongues of fire don't they!  I made something similar a couple of years ago for this post.

The surprise for the kids was when I cut open the cake.  It's a flag!




I also wanted to use up the leftover cake.  If you read the post on how to make the flag cake, you will notice that there will be a bit of leftover cake.  I took a tiny condiment bowl and cut out little circles of cake, stacked them in pint canning jars, layered them with icing, and added sprinkles to the top.



Voila!  Glorious Treats' cupcakes in a jar.  The kids love these because they're super easy to eat with a spoon and they can walk around with them.  I love the no-mess factor!

Here are a few more pics from the day.

The Altar at St. Agnes

Happy Girls at their last Children's Choir Mass for the school year

All dished up!
Today was the day Daddy proposed to me 14 years ago.  If you want to read more about that, you can read our story, Fiery Engagement, here.  I'm also celebrating 5 years of abstinence from sugar and compulsive overeating tonight.  Exciting!  I can't believe that as much as I love cake, I had more passion for photographing it rather than trying to keep myself from eating it.  I don't desire these things anymore.  Time in abstinence allows me this freedom.  Now I can spend my energies on food styling and photography.  I know I have WAY to many hobbies, but I'm happy to say eating is no longer one of them.:)


8 comments:

  1. That cake is too cool! Now to remember to make it for the 4th of July for my crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh-- you are so awesome!!! I love the cakes and the photo of St. Agnes is amazing. Are you guys parishioners there? It is somewhat famous...people here in NE have heard of St. Agnes. I'll be up the end of June...I am hoping we can get together. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisa. No we are not parishioners at St. Agnes. Our girls sing in the children's choir. They were allowed to do this because they needed more children for the choir. They invited area homeschooling families to join in 2 years ago when their numbers were low. It's a bit too far for us to join. And we love our parish very much. It is also very traditional.:)

      Delete
  3. They do look like tongues of fire - good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, I thought so, too. BTW....love the cat flash photo.;)

      Delete
  4. I love that cake. what a beautiful family you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gardenia, and thanks for stopping by. I think we fell out of touch. I hope your little flower is doing well.:) Blessings,
      G

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...