Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fears I Have

They say a mother's lot in life is to worry.  I can attest to that.  I never really worried about anything before I was married except for maybe grades and getting through finals.  I definitely didn't worry with the following:
  • traveling through Europe from Rome to Bruge by train alone
  • traveling from Rome to Bosnia with a friend by train during a war
  • driving from Dallas to my hometown for 6 1/2 hours straight alone
But now, as a mother, I worry.  I worry a lot.  This photo explains the cause of a lot of my worrying of late....

He can't EVER sit still!!!!
This little 2 year old is a bit of a genius.  I should be happy that he's a genius.  I should look at the glass half full instead of my glass being half empty.  But because I'm a mother and a worrier, I haven't been getting a lot of sleep because he's so smart he can....
  • undo latches
  • open doors
  • run very fast
  • manipulate the IPad and make purchases
  • unscrew lids
  • climb out of his crib
  • hide extremely well
  • escape from the house very stealthily
He thinks it's all a game.  He loves to be chased, found, brought back home, talk to strangers, and give his mother a heart attack!  Just yesterday I thanked one of my neighbors for returning him to the house THREE times in one morning.  I explained how he loves to play and drive us crazy.  She agreed to keep her eyes on him and be a part of the team....we'll call that Team Nick!

Did I mention that he's also a screamer and very physical.  He's a hair puller, a pusher, a rammer, and a stomper.  At Dodge Nature Center last Friday, he wanted our guide to hand him a chicken so badly that he screamed incessantly, "Give me a CHICKEN!  Give me a CHICKEN!  I want a CHICKEN!!!!"  Needless to say I had to remove him from the situation, and I certainly did not agree to his holding a chick.  That wouldn't have worked. at. all!





I knew 2012 would be a challenge with our 2 year old.  I knew that I would gain a few more gray hairs, a bit of an ulcer, and many sleepless nights.  I knew that I would have moments in the day when I would fear a frantic doorbell ringing or a knock from someone returning my son.  I knew I would have moments in the day when I would wonder if the phone would ring and it would be CPS ready to schedule an in-home visit because someone in the neighborhood "was concerned."  These are the reasons I'm a bit scatter-brained these days and forget to blog about the beautiful and momentous occasions like these....

Birthday Lunch and Maine Lobster Field Trip




A Red Lobster Birthday lunch to celebrate Molly's, Jane's, and Grandma Carol's
May birthdays because Molly is studying the state of Maine....you know....Maine Lobster.
Jane's 4th Birthday Bash

Jane's Disney Princess cake.  Monica made the cake, I iced it and
printed that image on an icing sheet.  The 2 year old attacked it and
ate 2 fistfuls of cake before the party!!!  Sheesh!



Swimming in the hotel pool where her godparents were staying
for the weekend while in town


Jane and her Godmother, Cousin Alice

Eating cake in the hotel room on the floor with her Godfather, Cousin Chuck
End of the Year Violin Performance

Jane's been wearing either a tiara, a dancing dress, or some shade of pink all week.

Waiting and playing Chess


Yes, there were all of 3 students in Monica's class.  She's actually glad it's over.
I shouldn't even write what I'm about to because I don't get many comments as it is, but in case you'd like to comment and tell me how gentle and well-mannered your 2 year old is, how he/she will sit and color and never leave your side, or how that's just the way 2 year olds are; just don't.  I know all of those things.  I just needed to document this bit of my life because that crazy little boy you saw in the first picture, is going to grow up to be a wonderful young man that will be my companion when everyone else is gone.  He and I will go out to lunch together and visit Daddy at his work together and probably be so bored of the quiet in the house.  He's my baby...he'll always be my baby!

8 comments:

  1. You know how perfect my 2 year old is...check out my blog. She almost got us kicked out of the library today!

    You're doing a great job over there. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I read your blog and just sat...mouth agape...in awe of the nerve of some people. Come on! Hang in their, sister. We're in this together.:)

      Delete
  2. Grace,

    I especially loved your last paragraph! My son was very similar to yours at the same age. He still gets himself into all sorts of scrapes and he is an adult! But I love him dearly and wouldn't change him.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue!!! I miss you.:) I have to comment on so many of your posts and don't know if I'll get the chance. I should just hit the reset button and pick up again. Thanks for the encouragement. So they do escape death in childhood and make it to adulthood....how very hopeful!;)

      Delete
  3. Thanks Grace - your honesty is refreshing! We have one of those - he is 9 now. My therapeutic-based prayer time mainly deals with not letting myself think that my kids' every act of poor behavior is a reflection of my 'bad parenting.' Because 1. I am not perfect/I make mistakes. 2. They aren't perfect/they make mistakes. But, of course, you rarely hear about those moments on anyone's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging comment. I need to hear that their actions and mine are usually less than perfect. "Bad parenting" is a tape loop that I don't need to have playing in my head. God Bless your day!:)

      Delete
  4. Grace, I just read this after a night when my two year old kept me up from 12:30am to 5:25am. I'm good for nothing today so I'm hearing you! Also, the same boy has half a front tooth due to hs many scrapes when he was first walking. Our 14 year old son was high maintenance, too, but he's the most loving and ompanionable son, now. It really does get easier - thank goodness!!

    God bless:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate that a lot.:)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...