"If it hadn't been for those meddling kids!"....you know....the ones who prayed for "Mom and her cookie business" all last year! Yep....that's what they did alright...every night before bed Lucas and Gabe would make that little prayer. And, of course, God hears the prayers of little children.
I can't believe how well it's been going. And I'm trying to keep breathing as I have a tendency to hold my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop or in this case the other cookie to crumble! I keep thinking the buzz is going to end. However, it's been steady so we are grateful.
So about the going's on around here....here goes:
1. The kids have been sneaking away at every opportunity to curl up somewhere and read. They really get pressed into service with the business so they love to hide from me. Here's what they are reading....
|Monica and Maria have these in print and on Kindle.|
|Gabe discovered this series at the library. He loves The Hardy Boys!|
|It warms my heart that Lucas will read and reread these classics.|
|Molly is enjoying this series. It's fun to have these books|
in the house again.
And Jane much to our surprise picked up a giant box of Hooked on Phonics that we acquired from a fellow homeschooler and started reading from Level 1. I love all the reading going on around here!
2. Baking...We had 5 cookie orders this week which made for a total of 17 dozen cookies baked and decorated. Here are a few pics of this week's lineup.
|Part of a platter of First Communion cookies for Margaret...you know...of|
"Minnesota Mom" fame!:)
|Batman Cookies for a little boy who turned 6 yesterday from one of my|
Homeschool Yahoo Groups.
3. Secrets....Before you all run out or spend oodles of time on the internet trying to find cookie cutters for the Batman cookies, I'll let you in on a little secret. You won't find them! There's no way....actually there is, but if you have a bajillion kids like me you won't have enough room...you can have every cookie cutter out there. Here's what I've learned about cookie cutters:
- There are so many out there.
- The good ones....Ecrandal and Copper Gifts....are expensive.
- They take up lots of room.
- They really limit your thinking.
So here's what I do. I bought a Cricut machine...the personal cutter which is nice and compact....a year ago. I have acquired a nice assortment of cartridges....maybe 10-12 that are basic fonts or shapes I think we need for school. I usually look for the shape I want, cut it with the Cricut on card stock, and hand-cut my cookie dough. All of the shapes you see in the Batman assortment came from the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge. I used an oval, a blurb, and the number 6 and cut each one at about 3-4 inches.
Now, your Home Ec. teacher, your mom, and your Grandma probably taught you to flour your surface and your rolling pin before rolling out your dough. No offense to all of those wonderful people, but I'm going to tell you, "Don't do that!" I use two pieces of parchment paper to roll out my dough. This keeps the dough from sticking to my rolling surface and my rolling pin, and I don't CHANGE the consistency of my dough by adding more flour. This keeps the cookies buttery and flaky and, from what I've heard, good tasting!
4. Fun Spring Days...the kids wanted more sidewalk chalk. I think they want to go into CSI!
|Can you tell how many girls and how many boys we have?|