Saturday, May 5, 2012

Delinquent

I'm not failing on every front, but I am with blogging.  I can't believe the last post I made was last Friday.  Thankfully today is a down day from baking/business running/promotion.  Phew!  There's a lot entailed in running a business.

"If it hadn't been for those meddling kids!"....you know....the ones who prayed for "Mom and her cookie business" all last year!  Yep....that's what they did alright...every night before bed Lucas and Gabe would make that little prayer.  And, of course, God hears the prayers of little children.

I can't believe how well it's been going.  And I'm trying to keep breathing as I have a tendency to hold my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop or in this case the other cookie to crumble!  I keep thinking the buzz is going to end.  However, it's been steady so we are grateful.

So about the going's on around here....here goes:

1.  The kids have been sneaking away at every opportunity to curl up somewhere and read.  They really get pressed into service with the business so they love to hide from me.  Here's what they are reading....

Monica and Maria have these in print and on Kindle.

Gabe discovered this series at the library.  He loves The Hardy Boys!

It warms my heart that Lucas will read and reread these classics.

Molly is enjoying this series.  It's fun to have these books
in the house again.

And Jane much to our surprise picked up a giant box of Hooked on Phonics that we acquired from a fellow homeschooler and started reading from Level 1.  I love all the reading going on around here!

2.  Baking...We had 5 cookie orders this week which made for a total of 17 dozen cookies baked and decorated.  Here are a few pics of this week's lineup.

Part of a platter of First Communion cookies for Margaret...you know...of
"Minnesota Mom" fame!:)

Batman Cookies for a little boy who turned 6 yesterday from one of my
Homeschool Yahoo Groups.

3.  Secrets....Before you all run out or spend oodles of time on the internet trying to find cookie cutters for the Batman cookies, I'll let you in on a little secret.  You won't find them!  There's no way....actually there is, but if you have a bajillion kids like me you won't have enough room...you can have every cookie cutter out there.  Here's what I've learned about cookie cutters:
  • There are so many out there.
  • The good ones....Ecrandal and Copper Gifts....are expensive.
  • They take up lots of room.
  • They really limit your thinking.
So here's what I do.  I bought a Cricut machine...the personal cutter which is nice and compact....a year ago.  I have acquired a nice assortment of cartridges....maybe 10-12 that are basic fonts or shapes I think we need for school.  I usually look for the shape I want, cut it with the Cricut on card stock, and hand-cut my cookie dough.  All of the shapes you see in the Batman assortment came from the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge.  I used an oval, a blurb, and the number 6 and cut each one at about 3-4 inches.


The next secret I want to share with you is how I work with my cookie dough.  First off, find a recipe that you like, or that your kids like, or that is easy for you to work with.  I recommend this book for recipes and cookie decorating tips.....


Now, your Home Ec. teacher, your mom, and your Grandma probably taught you to flour your surface and your rolling pin before rolling out your dough.  No offense to all of those wonderful people, but I'm going to tell you, "Don't do that!"  I use two pieces of parchment paper to roll out my dough.  This keeps the dough from sticking to my rolling surface and my rolling pin, and I don't CHANGE the consistency of my dough by adding more flour.  This keeps the cookies buttery and flaky and, from what I've heard, good tasting!  

4.  Fun Spring Days...the kids wanted more sidewalk chalk.  I think they want to go into CSI!
Can you tell how many girls and how many boys we have?






20 comments:

  1. I thought her cookies looked like your work! I may need to chat with you about some ideas for a Willy Wonka birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see her cookies? A Willy Wonka birthday? Oh, the possibilities...the gears are already spinning.:)

      Delete
  2. Grace, I am so happy about all the cookie activity!!! And, boy, those Batman cookies are too clever - Wish I had the need for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those cookies were too fun to make and made for a great grammar lesson on "onomatopoeia.". Is there ever a need for more cookies? Wants....needs....heh!:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the lession. I had to look a word up (guess which one!) Never, ever heard of that one before. You are one Smart Cookie! Have a wonderful Sunday, Grace~

      Delete
    3. onomatopoeia - one of our favorite words that Tigger says in one of the Winnie the Pooh movies. Although, I probably couldn't spell it correctly to save my life!

      Delete
  3. Grace,

    I'm so happy for you! The cookie business sounds a wonderful success. Thank you for sharing some of your secrets.

    My girls have read all the Penderwick books too. They loved them!

    I hope you get a break for yourself every now and then.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. I did have a nice break yesterday and today.:)

      Delete
  4. Excellent cookies - they look as great as they taste! My kids love to outline themselves as well. The girls will put their legs together with feet pointed out to make a mermaid tail and then decorate themselves as mer-people. I love that they are so easily entertained! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cute! Give little Peter a sweet smooch from his Godmother.:)

      Delete
  5. Hi Grace, I just ordered the Penderwicks series, and need something for the boys. Hardy Boys and Frog & Toad sounds about their speed. I wish I could figure out a way to get good book ideas without blog surfing endless hours. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, Hello! Blog surfing....now there's a time waster which I indulge in quite frequently. You know, I have a great librarian (a Catholic gal) who is wonderful with book recommendations. Also, I found this list of great books that is quite helpful. I've run across these lists everywhere...The Well-Trained Mind Forum & Book, Classical Christian Homeschooling, etc. I'm sure you have one you reference regularly. Also, a lot of the bloggers I follow give great book recommendations. Good Luck!

      Delete
    2. Hey Grace - thanks I'll try those - no, just a big bunch of printouts of books from various places, and that Teresa Fagan book. How do people actually figure out which books are good in the first place? I am amazed! Anyway, we're way overdue to get to the library. The TV has been on a straight week now due to illness for me and kids. I am ready to put it back in the closet (as I often do.)

      The cookies are marvelous looking - are you overbooked for Mother's Day already? If not, I will wait for Chuck's birthday in June.

      Blessings...

      Delete
    3. Jane and Nick figured out how to turn the TV on right around the New Year. Since then it's been almost non-stop. And, of course, if I'm busy baking, the darn thing goes on. I hate the TV! Except of course, when we're watching the Holy Father's Sunday audiences. Those are quite nice.:) I would love to make cookies for your family! Just let me know. And, no, I'm not booked for Mother's Day, but that's good because we'll be out of town to attend a Profession of Vows for a sweet new religious order of nuns. Yippee! That's actually my Mother's Day gift.:) BTW....Mother's Day hugs to you!

      Delete
  6. Your cookies made a HUGE hit! Pretty *and* yummy--what a gift!

    I'm working on my First Communion post right now and will be sure to give you an appreciative shout-out. I know my "Cate" was very inspired and can't wait to try her hand at cookie decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet! I was happy to add a little something special to the day. It is such a wonderful time for a family so know that the tray of cookies was made with lots of love and prayer!

      Delete
  7. Awesome, Grace! I would love to order some in the near future. Does your cookie website have pricing? Or can you email me? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can email you because I don't have the pricing listed.

      Delete
  8. He is one of my all time childhood favorites!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...