Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: Just a Lot of Stuff

I've had so many things that I've felt like dumping here on the blog.  I think I'll list them so I don't miss anything.

1.  This blog...If you've noticed I now have ads from Blog Her in the sidebar.  It's my way of trying to get  more recognition to our blog, try to make a little extra money, and keep myself blogging.  So far, I've noticed comments dwindle or completely be nonexistent.  Come on, people.  Really?  Don't you think we need a little encouragement to keep going?

Pretty

2.  You Smart Cookie....This is our cookie decorating business.  I made a resolution to put forth more effort into getting our business going.  I've learned a lot about starting a business in the last 3 years, done some market research, and tried like hell to learn more/better techniques in decorating.  There are some really great cookie decorators out there, but they're not here in the Twin Cities.  This is my market, and I can conquer it!  Or at least I'd like to try to.:)  This means, I'll be making and decorating more cookies, blogging about that, listing them over at our other blog, You Smart Cookie, and focusing on what makes our cookies really great.  This is the one thing that I always come back to about our cookies.  They are made with mostly organic ingredients.  We use organic brown eggs, organic flour and sugar, and organic butter when we can get it cheap.  I make all my icing, and Maria has proven herself to be an excellent mixer of colors.  She has a great eye for capturing just the colors we want for decorating our cookies.  She's a real pro!  Lastly, we have got to get back to edible images.  First Communions and graduations are  coming up, and summer will be here before we know it with weddings and anniversaries.  Our edible images on cookies are always a hit.  Personalization is very important to people and their celebrations so if we don't get back into that market, we really are missing an opportunity.


March weather is coming in like a lion, but hopefully will go out like a lamb!


Happy

3.  We purchased a new oven!!!!!!!  This is our old oven.



It got so bad that we had to shut it off down at the fuse box.  Reason being, one of the gears in the panel went bad and would constantly buzz as if the timer was going off.  Annoying!  We'd already had issues with the thermostat which was going to be crazy to fix if we could even find the parts.  So a recent mix up at our local Sears led to all kinds of deals towards getting this oven.




I love it!  It's so cool.  It's way too cool for me, but hey it was their mistake so this is what God has given me to work with.  Not bad, eh?






4.  Here are a few pics of the kids at The Ordway a couple Saturdays ago.  We went to hear selections from Ravel's Mother Goose.  It was a fun time!  Like the music hounds we are, we went to Orchestra Hall this Tuesday morning with friends to hear Peter and the Wolf.  That was really a lot of fun.  Now the girls are thinking about auditioning for the Minnesota Youth Orchestras.  We'll see what happens with that, but today I spoke with Maria's flute instructor.  He's all for training her for a June audition.   Who knows!


Funny

Maria just loves to bring her hamster to me at night so I can touch Pepper.  It can be a bit annoying at times, but in all honesty she is a very cute hamster!


Real

I went nuts yesterday using the new oven.  I baked two loaves of bread, raisin muffins, and roasted potatoes for dinner.  

Proofing the bread in the oven.




I also went a little nuts with my sewing.  I was only going to add the sashing around the quilt blocks, but I  stayed up with Daddy while he worked so I sewed on all the sashing plus the border.   I think it looks great!

This is the nearly completed quilt top.  Now I have to get batting an a fabric for the quilt back.  I'm making a scrappy
binding from all the leftover pieces of fabric.  I can't wait until it's done!

You can see more P, H, F, R moments over at Like Mother, Like Daughter.


19 comments:

  1. Your cookies are awesome! I am so awed by people who can make things that look so good. And your quilt is beautiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Kate. You're sweet!;)

      Delete
  2. I have no idea how I found your blog, but as you've been posting cookies the last few weeks it crossed my mind that there is a completely untapped market here in the cities. Best of luck in this endeavor, I will definitely keep you in mind for any future needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding us, Anon. I appreciate the encouragement. Do call on us for all your cookie needs.:)

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is so pretty, and the cookies are perfect! Good luck with your business - I think the same ability which helps you with decorating cookies is enabling you with the quilting, too. Precision.

    Love the new oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I'm so glad to have a little extra time now to quilt. The kids are growing up and my machine has been waiting.:)

      Delete
  4. Hi Grace,

    So much to comment on!

    Yes, comments can be a great encouragement. I have times when I wonder where everyone has gone. I wonder if anyone is interested in what I have to say. It's great to write but even better to start a conversation and hear back from readers.

    I noticed BlogHer in your side bar as soon as I reached your blog. I haven't heard of it before. Must find out more...

    Your own cookie decorating business? Wow! You certainly have a huge talent. I hope your business is a success. The cookies in the photos look so professional and attractive. I would feel terrible eating them though! I'd want to keep them to look at.

    We love Ravel's Mother Goose. Being part of a youth orchestra would be a wonderful experience. Working with other young people who are all passionate about music will be very special.

    We don't have hamsters in Australia. They aren't allowed into the country. Pity! They look so cute. We do have guinea pigs though. These make wonderful pets too.

    Oh yes! I love your new oven. I bet you just want to cook and cook and cook.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that I don't have a "reply" option for every comment that comes through! Argh!!! If anyone knows how to correct that, please let me know. Thank you all for commenting. It makes us smile.:)

    Particularly, at Sue.....why are hamsters not allowed in Australia? Maria will be so amazed to hear that! We thought of getting a guinea pig, but I didn't think I could handle the tail.:( Pepper is a very sweet hamster. You would like her, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace,

      I think that hamsters are looked upon as 'exotic' creatures, not native to Australia. A lot of animals have been introduced and later, there have been problems... competition with native animals... upsetting the natural Australian eco-system, I suppose. Hamsters in cages wouldn't do any harm to anything but if they were to get free? We certainly have a rabbit problem.

      I returned to tell you, I have nominated you for a Lobster Award. Details are on my blog!

      Delete
    2. My husband figured that was the reason. Thanks for the Lobster Award!:) I laughed and laughed as I read Victor's description of the award from his blog. I'll definitely be following him....quite the character. I'll have to go back and check out those details....can't wait to post that on my sidebar!:)

      Delete
  6. I'm on blogger too and I have the option to reply, but it hasn't always been there. Do you use the old format maybe? Those cookies look fantastic. I'm going to quilt, one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it out! When in doubt consult the help tab....eyeroll!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tip, MBJD. I thought I was using the new format. I have the newer dashboard to manage my blogs, and I just noticed the reply option is on my other blog. But why not this one? I think I'll have to e-mail Blogger to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful newsy post!! The oven is fab, the quilt is wonderful (I have a made a couple in my day and this one came together quickly!), the bread looks delicious (can practically smell it cooking - nothing else smells like bread cooking), not so keen on hamsters -- we LOVE dogs who love hamsters though ;-) -- and the COOKIES!!! Can you ship out of state, or is it only in MN? I would love to try some, but am in FL. Have a wonderful Friday, Grace ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we can ship, Cathy.:) I've sent a couple orders to Louisiana, but other than that it's just been in state friends who have been interested. I would love to send you a batch of our cookies. Just think up an occasion and I'll let you know when we're not sick...we are currently fighting colds.:( We're all about food safety here.;) Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Yippee!!! OK, my son (30) is having a birthday this month (20th). He is into martial arts. Any ideas for cookies? Or, even better, what about Easter. I bet you have wonderful Easter cookies -- Or even better, both!

      Delete
    3. Cathy! I'm sorry I never got back to you. I would love to make cookies for both occasions! Why don't you email me and we can work out the details...pnglittlefieldatgmaildotcom

      Blessings,
      G

      Delete
  9. Grace, your productivity makes this melancholic want to howl! What a gorgeous set of cookies, and what a lovely quilt! i'm not all that into cookies myself but I love quilting and would love to make another. Instead, I'm just reading stupid detective novels. But I'm happy that YOU are doing such lovely things!
    Sibyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sibyl, what are you reading? I am currently reading English short stories (Waugh, Hardy, Chesterton, and some others I've never heard of) from a collection I picked up at the thrift store. I love old books! Thanks for stopping by.:)

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...