Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real: Feasting & Fasting


round button chicken

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~

I have been anxiously awaiting the upcoming Feast Days.  For a cookie baker, every holiday and feast day turns into many preparatory work days.  This week has been a double whammy!  I told Daddy that I hate having deadlines hanging over my head.  It makes me feel stubborn and that I don't really want to do the work.  But when I get to this stage of the game....



A new recipe....chocolate/coffee butter cookies!  The kids think there should be more chocolate
and less coffee.  I think it's because we grind our own beans so the larger coffee bits make the coffee
taste a bit overpowering.  I wouldn't know!;)

I get very excited!!!!

Pretty

For St. Patrick's Day I decided to go a couple different routes.  Shamrocks....



and Celtic crosses....


Next, I had to come up with something for the Feast of St. Joseph.  I decided to make lilies...


The kids helped with getting the coloring right.  I wish I had more time to tell you all the little details about these cookies.  I'll just have to wait for another tutorial opportunity.:(  If you are looking for ideas for celebrating the Feast of St. Joseph, you can click on my Virtual St. Joseph Altar button in my sidebar. That will lead you to the site that Evann hosts every year.   You can also find coloring pages over at Charlotte's site...Waltzing Matilda.  And here are my past posts showing our family's St. Joseph altars.

Link 1
Link 2

Happy

I have been wanting to make large batches of yogurt in our oven.  We set up the milk, heated and cooled it, stirred in a cup of our existing Costco yogurt, and voila!



This is just way too cool for me!!  I also have 50 lbs. of steel cut oats coming sometime via UPS. 

Funny
 The kids are wondering what freaky Granola-y things are happening to their mother!

Real

I finally finished the Easter table runner and am now starting to quilt the larger Merry-Go-Round blanket.

Maria took this picture.

And this one!

And this one!


It is really hard to wrangle a large-ish blanket with a standard sewing machine for quilting.  I had to move my work station to the dining room to lay the quilt out flat without too much bunching.  I know it can be done, but boy is there a learning curve.  I'm so glad I'm a lifelong learner!  I can hardly wait for my free-motion quilting class tomorrow.  If you are in the Cities, Just Sew Studio is a very cool place.

You can see more P, H, F, R moments by clicking on the button above.:)

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Grace, you are so talented! Beautiful quilting and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Anne Maria!:) I saw you have a few blogs...I'll have to check those out. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. We also make shamrock and cross cookies for St. Patrick's Day, but not nearly so gorgeous as yours. Would you ever share your frosting recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frosting recipe is the Wilton royal icing recipe.....1 lb. 10x powdered sugar, 3 level T. meringue powder, and 5-6 T. water. I mix mine up using the whipping attachment on my Kitchen Aid. I thin the icing from there in small batches depending on what colors I need. Sometimes I'll a bit of vanilla depending on what the kids want. Thanks for stopping by!:)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Those cookies are stunning! I hope you get to make your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Anne.:) I need to make that tutorial. You can follow more of my cookie adventures over at my other blog....http://yousmartcookie.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  4. YUM!! Those cookies look delightfully delicious! I'd be interested in the frosting recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Lindsey.:) I left the recipe for my icing in a comment above this one for Colleen. You can see it there. It's basically just the Wilton royal icing recipe. Blessings, G

      Delete
  5. Learning curve? Your quilts look pretty perfect to me! I am also planning to make a table runner, but it won't be as detailed as yours. Still, I like the look of them more and more.

    Your cookie decorating skills are amazing - the lilies! Happy St. Patrick's Day and St. Joseph's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! You are so sweet.:) I can't wait to see your table runner. I have got to get over to your blog to comment on several things you've posted. For one, I love the afghan you were airing out...that is beautiful. And, I love your cats!:) Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! Have a great Sunday.:)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful yummy looking cookies! And the quilting is wonderful too. I'l be emailing you when we get closer to getting out of the Army and moving to the Twin Cities! Maybe by end of 2013. I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I would love to have you here....a kindred spirit!:) Thanks for the compliments...my craft therapy.;) Now I have another great reason to look forward to 2013!!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...