Thursday, March 8, 2012

Magazine Browsing: Cast Iron Pizza

I don't usually browse magazines, but I thought it would be nice to have an uploaded subscription for my IPad for when I have to wait at doctor's appointments.  I was surprised to see in the March issue of Martha Stewart Living an article about making pizza in a cast iron skillet.  Of course, I was all over that so I bought a few supplies at the grocery store and decided to make a couple of pizzas for the kids for today's lunch.

Here we go!


I used a #9 skillet and set up the IPad on the counter so I could follow the instructions.  I used pre-made Rhodes pizza dough to save me a lot of steps with the crust.  First, I spread olive oil in the bottom of the skillet and then began to work the dough with my fingertips.




Next, I added pasta sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, and fresh mushroom slices.




I then added freshly grated pecorino romano cheese and a bit more mozzarella.  To this I sprinkled on a bit more olive oil.


I took this over to the range and browned the underside of the pizza crust.  It only took about 4 minutes.  See!


I had already preheated the oven to 500 degrees so it was ready to go.  I placed the skillet in the hot oven for approximately 10 minutes.


It was a hit!  I also made a second cheese pizza that was quickly devoured at lunch time.  Here are the yummy results.




Here's a link to Martha's website so you can find the article or better yet give yourself a subscription for the year.:)  I couldn't find the article to post a link here so I'll do my best to give Martha's team the credit for this recipe.  The original article can be found in the March issue of MS Living that includes three very nice recipes using fancier ingredients than I used for those of you with more eclectic tastes.  I had to keep things simple for my crew and doable for me!  

8 comments:

  1. Madeline wants to come have lunch at your house! That looks super yummy! Looks like your new oven is getting well used. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Madeline to come on over.:) I'll bet you're all packed up and ready to head out tomorrow. Good luck at the conference!:) Yes, the oven....we just LOVE it.:)

      Delete
  2. That looks great. I am going to have to check out the skillet method. I have a pizza stone but for small pizzas I think the skillet would be great. I make ridiculous amounts of the Pioneer Woman's pizza dough. I make a double batch and it keeps well in the fridge for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on P Dub's pizza dough. I'll have to check that out. I stopped following her blog...can't remember when....maybe when she went all reality tv show and everything. I'll just have to mosey on over there to snatch that recipe.:) Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. I'm with you on that. Her blog is too big for me, but I keep her pizza dough, the sour cream pancakes, and the meatballs in heavy rotation around here. Also the chocolate cake, but it's identical to the one my grandmother always made.

      Delete
    3. Thanks again for the pizza dough tip off! I went to her blog and bookmarked the recipe. I just love her post about that chicken pizza and the dough. She has such a sense of humor! Of course, the blog envy went through me and I was headed to confession the next day so I got off real quick for fear of boring my priest in the confessional with my breaking of the 10th Commandment!;)

      Delete
  3. Oh. YUM!!! Why didn't I think of that? Haha, I know why..not enough pizza! Looks perfect for a lunch salad side dish though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does make a smallish pizza. That's why I made 2 for the kiddies. I saw your post....gotta go leave a comment there.:) Hugs!

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...