Friday, March 9, 2012

Creative Friday: A Sweet Surprise!

I remember speaking to my MIL (Grandma C) a few weeks ago about a quilting project her grandmother had undertaken YEARS ago.  Since Grandma C acquired many of the crafty things from her mother, this quilt project was among them.  My MIL knows I'm crafty and love to sew as much as she does and wondered if I'd like to have the project to keep it in the family, see what could be done to preserve it, and possibly finish it.  She knows I have a lot going on and didn't want to add any pressure, but she thought I might like it.  When I got home yesterday evening after a long day of driving the kids around....remember Hell Thursday?....Daddy told me Grandma C left something for me.  She always leaves things for me....newspaper articles, hair binders left at her house, COUPONS, notices about local events, etc.  I wasn't too thrilled until Daddy mentioned it was from Great Great Grandma H.  Oh, I squealed like a little piggy and danced a little dance and ran around the house looking for the bag!  After all that, Daddy told me to calm down and handed me THE BAG.  I greedily snatched it up and this is what I found....



I almost peed my pants I was so excited!  Then I breathed deeply and looked more closely.


G3H (I have to shorten up her title because that's a lot of G's!) hand sewed each of these little hexagons.  Let me repeat that.....hand sewed each of these little hexagons!



How little are these LITTLE hexagons?  Let me esplain you with a little perspective.


I kid you not....that's a quarter!  This is tiny, tiny, oh so very tiny hand work.  Then I looked at the tin....remember that tin in the first picture?


There it is that deceptive little tin.  Look what I found it contains....


Many, many, many more hand sewn quilt "blocks" that need to be hand sewn to each other to make a work of historically, incredible art!  I almost fainted and cried....and fainted and cried again.  I AM NOT WORTHY of such a gift.  Remember I'm an outsider....and not just any outsider....I'm a REAL outsider to this family.  I'm not the slightest bit German or Austrian or fair looking or even from the same gosh darn state!  BUT....there's the BIG BUT....I LOVE to sew, and I love patchwork, and I love vintage crafty things.  So, I began this morning to try to wrap my little head around this project.


OK, I stink at hand sewing.  I may take out those stitches and try again.  I don't know.  What I do know is that I'm challenged by this project and totally humbled that my sweet MIL (Grandma C) trusts me with this task.


What do you think?  Should I continue piecing this together?  I also thought about just doing what G3H did and starting with a center block and sewing on 6 additional blocks.  I could back, bind, and quilt these and send them to the various H grandchildren....there are a few.

Oh, and I'm linking this up to Natural Suburbia's blog so I can get this out to the rest of the crafty world to get some tips on how to proceed.


10 comments:

  1. Grace,

    I can feel your excitement from the other side of the world! What an exquisite gift. Please post regular progress updates. I'd love to hear how you get on finishing this patchwork quilt.

    I haven't anything as old as your quilt but I do have a few things made by my grandmother which I treasure including a blanket, a table cloth and some embroideries. I also have a bag of embroideries worked by my GRANDFATHER!! He did them when he was in hospital. My grandfather died when I was a baby and I treasure this link with a man I never knew.

    I once sewed a similar shaped patchwork by hand (I didn't finish it!). Each of the little hexagons was sewn around a piece of paper before being sewn together. The papers were removed as the last step. I can't see any papers in the photos so I am guessing you are joining them in a different way.

    What an exciting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I'm so excited about this project....it's nice to know someone else gets excited about this kind of stuff, too.:)

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful, Grace! What a precious gift! I've just bought a vintage treadle sewing machine to do quilting, etc, on. It's so much fun to pedal and tinker with! I can't wait to see how you finish this off:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vicky! I saw your sewing machine. It's awesome.:) I'll keep posting updates...granted, they'll probably be pretty sporadic.:(

      Delete
  3. I say go for it. Perhaps just handsew a few more blocks (see how you go) and then back it as a lap quilt, or something slightly smaller - and then make little cushions with the leftover blocks? Maybe enough for all her great grandchildren to have one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great ideas. Thanks for visiting and your input.:) I'm going to go in the direction of making the lap quilt and see what it looks like from there. I sewed a bit more on yesterday afternoon in the car while we ran errands. This is the perfect take-along project.:)

      Delete
  4. This is so. incredibly. cool!!!! Of course you should continue it! I think you should just do your very best and take your time. I sometimes wish I would hand sew more. It is so much more relaxing than using the machine...but then I get impatient! What a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisa. I'm torn between this becoming my take-along project and my knitting (another baby sweater). I like to take knitting with me because it's faster. This type of work requires me to concentrate more. I, too, am very impatient. I think it's because so much of my time is not my own.:( OK, onward and upward. Big hug from me....I'm praying for you during this hard time of deployment.:) Hang in there, Mommy!

      Delete
  5. Oh Grace, I am so like you-that present would have been the equivalent of handing me a bag of gold. I think your stitches are great, and the generations of love are a prayer in each stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that thought of "a prayer in each stitch." I don't always remember to pray as I work. I did that when I crocheted because I would think of a person who loved to crochet so I offered up all the thoughts as prayers. Maybe that's what I should do here....you know, I'm so curious to know more about G3H. For one thing, I know she was meticulous!:) Thanks for visiting and the encouraging words.

      Delete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...