Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Since Everyone's Talking About Florida...

I thought I'd whip up a Key Lime Pie.  Well, actually Daddy's been asking for one ever since he found that Costco sells key limes.  He has fond memories of visiting the Florida Keys with his Mom and Dad as a child.  They camped all over the United States for a month at a time.  He's pretty much been everywhere.

Here's what you'll need:

4 egg yolks
1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
1 Graham cracker crust or you can make one yourself (Look elsewhere for this recipe since I was too lazy to make one myself!)



Now before you go all hay-wire on me, yes, you are going to eat raw eggs with this pie.  I don't worry about stuff like that since the lime juice neutralizes the eggs.  And, yes, I'm a Biology major so don't correct me if I'm wrong!  You will also keep the pie chilled and if you're human and love sugar, the pie won't be sitting around long!  But just in case, you're a little iffy on eating raw eggs, you can do this:


To make key lime pie safely, heat the lime juice with the raw egg yolks in a pan on the stove, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Then combine it with the sweetened condensed milk and pour filling into baked pie crust. Top with meringue. Bake all meringue-topped pies at 350 degrees F for at least 15 minutes.
Let's start with those notorious eggs.  Crack them and separate the yolks from the whites.  I just discarded my whites, but I'm sure you wonderful stewards can find many uses for them instead of throwing them out.


To this you will add the sweetened condensed milk and mix it all together.  I used a hand mixer on a medium speed.



Next, add the lime juice and mix again.  You will notice that the mixture will start to thicken.  That's what you want!




 Pour it into your prepared or ready-made graham cracker crust.  Place it in your refrigerator to chill for a few hours or overnight.


I just waited a few hours and decided to work on the cream for the top.  I chilled my mixing bowl and beater for 10 minutes in the freezer.  I used a medium sized container of heavy whipping cream and 1/4 c. granulated sugar.  I mixed the cream on a high setting for about 5 minutes or just until peaks started to form.

You don't want to over mix because it will turn to butter.
I then grabbed a pastry bag and a 2D star tip.  I always use a tall glass to fill my pastry bags.



 Then you just pipe stars starting in the center of the pie until the whole top is covered.





I cut very thin slices of lime to garnish the top.  And voila!  Now you can watch the drama unfold with the Florida Primary.



I have another little surprise for you for the upcoming feasts....The Presentation/Candlemas and the Feast of St. Blaise (Blessing of the Throats).  Think light!  More on that later.

Here's a bonus photo of Jane who wanted me to take her picture.  It was all she could bear not to swipe her little finger across that pie!  I applauded her effort.


6 comments:

  1. Here in Florida we do so love Key Lime Pie - Looks delicious, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You'll have to tell me how YOU make yours.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I have never made one. Our local grocery store - Publix - makes them almost better than homemade, and yours looks exactly like theirs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived in MN for 16 years, but grew up in FL and I've never made a Key Lime Pie either! When I spied Key Limes at the grocery yesterday I almost bought them. You've convinced me to overcome my pie making fears and just go for it. I'm intimidated about baking cut-out cookies, too. Your doves are gorgeous, but I'm not that brave quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just go for it, Anonymous! It's just food...that's what consoles me anyway.:)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...