Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Mexican Christmas Traditions

What would Christmas be without tamalitos?  Mexican tamales are a Christmas tradition that I grew up with either helping my mother to make or receiving them from my godmother or grandmother or buying from one of the ladies from church.  In any case, if you didn't have a plate of tamales to offer any of your Christmas guests, you weren't REALLY having Christmas!

I'm a modern Mexican mama so I leave the work of tamales to Costco and Daddy.  He's always more than happy to scour the cities' Costco sites for the chance they may be stocking tamales for Christmas.  He has scored for the last three years!  This year is no different.  To accompany his meal this Sunday, I made Mexican rice.  Here's how I make mine....in case you're hankering for a little Mexican flare for Christmas.  And even if you celebrated the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe with chocolate and pan mexicano, you can still choose one of the recipes from my sidebar for the remaining days of the Posadas.  That reminds me we have to get back to doing Posadas around here with our other homeschool friends!

I use a rice cooker since I make a lot of rice for our family.  Using a rice cooker frees up the stove and the rice is perfect every time.

I keep my rice in a Frangelico tin that I've had for years.  I buy a HUGE bag of rice from Costco...
like 20 lbs. of rice hence the need for smaller containers!


Rice is easy to cook...the ratio is 1:2 so you use 2 cups of water for every cup of rice.  Here I have 3 cups of rice and 5 cups of water in my rice cooker.  I'm not crazy...I'm just going to add another cup of liquid in the next step.  Stay with me!


Next, we'll work on the flavoring for the rice...Start with 8 oz. or, in my case, I had 1 pint of stewed tomatoes, Knorr chicken bullion, and ground cumin.


Place the undrained tomatoes in a blender and purée them.

Pay no attention to the icing bottles behind the blender...fodder for another post!
I usually have a Diet something or other while I'm cooking.:)

I placed 3 of the cubes of bullion and 1 T. ground cumin into my 2 c. liquid measure
before adding the puréed tomatoes.

I then heated the mixture in the microwave for 1 minute to dissolve the bullion.   Here it is....nice and hot.

The color changed a little bit, and I gave it a little stir.
Add the liquid to the rice cooker, stir it, and set your rice cooker to "Cook."


It takes anywhere from 20-30 minutes to cook, and this is the result...


If you have a sprig of cilantro, you could place it in the rice cooker while cooking.  The sprig will float to the top and rest on the cooked rice.  The aroma is so pleasing and although I don't care for cilantro, I love the smell of cilantro in rice!  Also, traditional Mexican rice is fried in oil before cooking.  It's very flavorful because the frying gives the rice a nutty flavor.  However, because of health reasons, I'm no longer in the business of frying our rice.:(  I still have the memories though!

And...I'm so excited for the New Year!  I have so many ideas for posts for 2012...chocolate mexicano, tortillas, Posadas, and maybe the kids will be ready to help me make our own tamales!http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Posadas

1 comment:

  1. Hey Grace, I'm loving all your Mexican food tutorials. I'm finally so tired of my boring Italian cooking and I'm trying all your recipes! Fun!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...