Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tinga de Pollo (Stewed Chicken Tostadas)...My Way

This was an easy, quick dinner to prepare for Paul & the kids on Sunday evening.  It's basically a tostada made with stewed and shredded chicken breast, a tomato salsa, and salsa verde made from tomatillos and jalapeños.  Here's the end result to entice you to stick with me to the end of the post!


First, start with fresh chicken breasts.  Place these in a stewing pot with...



quartered or halved onion and


chicken bouillon.  I use Knorr from the Mexican section at my grocery store.


Cover everything with water & stew until it's cooked.  I think it took about 20 minutes once it started to boil.


Next, we'll work on the tomato salsa.  We'll use minced garlic, oil, diced tomatoes (canning comes in handy!), onion, and Goya Adobo seasoning.  


Start by sautéing 1-2 T. garlic in about 2 T. of oil.


Next, chop 1 onion and cook it in the oil until it becomes transparent.


This looks about right!


Next, add the tomatoes.  Mine were about 1 cup. Let that reduce until it's nice and thick.  Since my tomatoes were a bit watery, I added a bit of my own tomato sauce that was canned with my father-in-law's tomatoes.


Meanwhile, the chicken is still cooking so we can move onto the Salsa Verde.
Start with 1 lb. of tomatillos.  Remove the husks and wash them to get the "sticky" off.
Rinse off the jalapenos.  I used three.


Place all of this in a 3 qt. saucepan and cover with water.  Bring it all to a boil.  


Getting back to the tomato salsa, I notice it's reducing nicely.  


Next, take 1 onion, chop it up a bit, and add it to a food processor.


The tomatillos and jalapeños are boiling and changing to a duller shade of green.  Reserve your cooking liquid.


My camera pooped out on me so I'll just have to give you the breakdown.  I removed the stems and seeds from the jalapeños and added them to the food processor.  I put the tomatillos (whole) into the food processor.  You can eat all of the tomatillo so there's no need to seed it or remove the core.  To all of this I added 1 cup of cooking liquid.  I processed all of this to a puree.  This is the result...


By this time the chicken should be cooked.  Since we're only working with the chicken, you can strain and reserve the stock for another use.  Take two forks and shred the chicken removing any of the gristle.
Add the shredded chicken to the tomato salsa.  Combine and heat.  This mixture is called the Tinga de Pollo.  Tinga just means stewed.  So you could make a tinga of pork or beef, too.  Think of the possibilities!


Now just put it all together!  Start with a tostada.  I like to use Tostadas Charras.  They are so yummy! 
Spread a layer of refried or black beans (canned is fine) on the tostada.  Next, layer the tinga de pollo.  Add a little salsa verde...careful if you don't like things too spicy.  Top it all off with a little queso fresco or farmer cheese. 



So what was the verdict?  See for yourself!




1 comment:

  1. That first picture is just to die for! Why must your torture pregnant women all across the world wide web? Admittedly, I make a mean black bean tostada, but I'm going to try these next!!!

    p.s. *cough* enchilada filling *cough* Wasn't there some other recipe you were going to post... ?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...