Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Antojo

pronunciation: /ahn toh hoh/ - translation: a whim, a hankering, a craving


Molly mentioned this morning that she has been craving pan Mexicano also known as Mexican pastries.  I  grew up with these pastries so ever since I've been in Minnesota, I've sought out all the good Mexican bakeries in the Twin Cities.  And even though, I haven't had a pastry in 4 1/2 years, I still remember what they tasted like even as a child.  So naturally, our kids like them and know which ones are the best.  These are some of our family's favorite bakeries:



Panaderia y Pasteleria El Rey

You really can't make this stuff at home.  Part of the fun of having a pastry like this is that you actually go to the shop and speak Spanish to the workers.  You get the whole cultural experience that way.  I've been able to evangelize through the sheer number of kids we have when we all bail out of the van and crowd into one of these tiny places.  I've been asked if I contracept, if I'm Catholic, if my husband helps out, or if I work.  Hah!  Do I work?  And oh the fun Daddy and I have when we stop at one of these places and buy Menudo (beef tripe stew!) on a Sunday morning.  Daddy throws out his best Spanish to impress the workers and always manages to give me a smooch or a special little look to brandish his own version of machismo.

So here you have a pic of yummy pan Mexicano para darte un antojito (to give you a little craving)!  And in case you are fortunate enough to live near one of these little Mexican bakeries don't just drive by next time.  Stop and order some of our yummy favorites with confidence...conchas, maranitos y empanadas.  ¡Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...