Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real - Oldie but Goodie and a Challenge


round button chicken


~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life ~


Pretty

This is the sewing machine my mom gave us back in May when we visited Texas.




It needed a little work so I took it in to have it retimed and tuned up.

I hadn't set it up for lack of space, but today I got it out and committed to having three machines on my sewing table!

It's a little tight, but it will probably work, and having three machines going will make for happier sewing children.

When I went to thread the machine and test it on scrap fabric, however, it just wasn't working.  It took a little thinking and retrying to figure out that it has to be threaded from left to right rather than from the right to the back.  The needle goes in with the hole going from side to side instead of from front to back.  I hope you understand what I'm talking about.  Hard to explain....just trust me!


Happy & Funny


Once it was going, voila!  It is a happy little machine, very sturdy and built heavy like a tank.  I also managed to use the drill to mount my thread rack.  It was taking up WAY too much space on the table so I needed it on the wall.  I'm definitely happy about that.

Nice straight stitches make me happy!

I find it funny that I don't realize how little thread I have until I see my own picture of my stash!

Real

So our oldie but goodie machine is ready to go and is all set for fall quilting, homemade Christmas gifts, doll clothes, and garment sewing.  After picking up this recent find at Borders (which is going out of business all over the Twin Cities!), I'm excited to make pattern blocks for Monica and myself.



I'm ready for custom clothing.  Don't you hate buying things that don't fit you but fit a mannequin?  Since I'm humanly "squishy" rather than "plastic-y" my clothes need to have a little give here and there.  It will definitely be a challenge to drape muslin and create pattern blocks, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

See more Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real moments by clicking on the button above.  Oh, and I'm headed to the State Fair today so the kids can eat until they're sick, and I can watch them.:(  It should be fun...it always is!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...