Friday, May 13, 2011

Zippered Pouch Tutorial

I was inspired by Ginny at Small Things with this post about her need to use up some vintage zippers and store her Bob Books.  Because little hands have trouble or aren't always so gentle with the boxes Bob Books come in, I too was interested in pursuing this project.  I got even more excited when I saw a similar project in my serger book, Ready, Set, Serge: Quick And Easy Projects You Can Make in Minutes.  I am really enjoying all the wisdom in this book...very practical.  Here's how I did it.

First I took a 12" plastic zipper and centered it along the shorter side of an 8 1/2" X 13" piece of fabric.  I used coordinating fat quarters to make 4 pouches.  I ended up not using my serger to attach the zipper.  I used my zipper foot on my sewing machine to do this on both short sides of the fabric.


Here's the view after opening the zipper and sewing it onto the right side of the opposite short side of fabric.  Do you get that?  Somewhat confusing I know.:(


OK...here's what it should look like if you turn the fabric right side out and close the zipper.  Notice that I moved the zipper about an inch below the top of the pouch before pressing it.  Still with me?




Then I turned the fabric wrong side out after closing the zipper.  I'm getting ready to cut that extra 2 inches off the side.  Stay with me...you can do this!



You're going to serge the other side of the bag, too.  I don't always get things right the first time around, however.:(



I had to set that pouch aside and get another one going in order to finish this tutorial.  Because of that, you'll see another printed fabric.  Still with me?  Before serging the side where the zipper will open the bag, open the zipper 2" from the side of the bag.



Now you can serge that side.  Hold the zipper together with your fingers and watch it with your cutting blade.  Bleeding all over your fabric and machine is not cool.



Now that both side seams are serged, turn the pouch right side out through that zippered opening.


Here's what it looks like zippered shut and pressed.



The pouches are the perfect size for the books and fill a need in our homeschool.  Score!



Here are the finished pouches I made.


Have a Fun Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty. Maybe I'll learn how to use a sewing machine one day -- I've NEVER used one, or even watched someone use one since I was a little girl at my grandma's house.
    It seems amazing to me that my mom made her own maternity clothes when she was pregnant with me ... I've never even seen her sew a button on! My grandma did all our mending and hemming for her! I feel gypped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!:) My mom always challenged me by saying, "If you can read, you can sew." I don't know that is necessarily true, but I was challenged to learn. It took getting my MIL's machine and being pregnant with Monica to motivate me to start making things on my own. Now we have 3 machines and the serger! I'm just happy the kids love it, too. I think now I challenge myself to learn new things or take on challenging projects so they can have the confidence to take on challenges and keep learning.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...