Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yum, Yum, Yum, Delicioso

Maria came up with the blog title!  She said it would be appropriate for our photo tutorial for making:


Individual Carmelized Flans

I've been looking for an excuse to use these cute little custard cups I found at Marshall's.  I love, love, love the color.  The green is so bright and makes me happy!


First we had to carmelize the sugar...very carefully!









Next we filled the custard cups with the carmel....very quickly!  We didn't work fast enough to get the bottoms coated.  Oh, well!





We had to let the carmel set for 10 minutes so we made the custard while we waited.  I doubled the recipe so I used:

  • 6 eggs
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 3 c. milk
  • 2 t. vanilla
Mix until well blended but not foamy.



Then we filled the custard cups a little over 2/3 full.  I could hear the carmel cracking a bit under the cold of the custard.  Is that ok...I don't know!



Next I sprinkled the tops with cinnamon for a truly Mexican flare!



Maria really liked this part.  We filled the baking dish with boiling water 1 inch from the bottom of the pan.



We baked the flans in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.



And....VOILA!




They've been cooling on that rack since 10:30AM.  I'm going to serve them for dessert tonight.  It's making the kids crazy...terrible mother!  I'll probably go pop them in the refrigerator so they set.  Enjoy!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...