Thursday, January 20, 2011

Will They Remember?

I was looking through my book basket and found a beautiful book of meditations for mothers.  Leafing through it, I found a poem that made me stop and wonder if my children will remember being read to.  I think they will!

I want to dedicate this poem to all Mommies who love to read to their children and try so hard to make it happen.

THE READING MOTHER




Strickland Gillilan



I HAD A MOTHER who read to me

Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,

Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,

"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath



I had a Mother who read me lays

Of ancient and gallant and golden days;

Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,

Which every boy has a right to know.



I had a Mother who read me tales

Of Celert the hound of the hills of Wales,

True to his trust till his tragic death,

Faithfulness blent with his final breath.



I had a Mother who read me the things

That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-

Stories that stir with an upward touch,

Oh, that each mother of boys were such.



You may have tangible wealth untold;

Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be --

I had a Mother who read to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...