Friday, December 17, 2010

O, the Antiphons

I still cannot figure out what that "Link" box is under the "Title" box when I post, nor how to use the "Add enclosure link" feature.  Could someone enlighten me?


Getting on with it...I thought I would jot down my "surprise" plans for celebrating the next seven days of the O Antiphons in anticipation for CHRISTMAS!!  Because I stumble upon these things, we started celebrating the O Antiphons a few years back when a friend (MdCL...you know who you are) gave us the Magnificat Advent Companion as a gift.  I loved learning about this ancient tradition and what it signifies for the Church even though I had been going over each of them since I was 20.  I would do a Christmas Novena with Regnum Christi and the Legionaries of Christ in the days prcedeeding Christmas.  I never knew what I was actually saying.  Great Titles for Christ, but I didn't know these were the O Antiphons.  The catechesis as explained in the Magnificat Advent Companion is wonderful and is a beautiful continuation if you've been doing a Jesse Tree or, in our case, have been in a Good Shepherd Atrium.  These next few days bring it all together.  Also, the girls have had to learn the Latin in O Come, O Come Emmanuel for their study in Lingua Angelica from Memoria Press.  I'm amazed at how much they retain and apply from their Latin studies.    Last year, we added the O Antiphons to our Advent Lapbooks.  This year I'm excited we'll do a little something on each day.  Say a little Prayer it goes well!  If you want to know more about the O Antiphons, you can read more here.


O Sapientia - O Wisdom  - Dec. 17

Book

Veni, O Sapientia,
quae hic disponis omnia,
veni, viam prudentiae
ut doceas et gloriae.

O come, Thou Wisdom, from on high,
and order all things far and nigh;
to us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go. 

I plan to give the kids a book....a very LARGE book for this first day of the O Antiphons.  I fell in love with this when I saw the catechist at Good Shepherd bring it out to show in the Toddler Room.  It measures 17"X13" and has beautiful artwork depicting the life of Christ.  I'll be placing this on the coffee table in the area of the living room where we do Morning Prayer.  This will be great to give the kids visual images for the Gospel readings throughout the year.  Score...I picked this up at Borders as a Bargain Book plus an additional 40% off!



O Adonai - O Lord - Dec. 18

House

Veni, veni, Adonai,
qui populo in Sinai
legem dedisti vertice
in maiestate gloriae. 

O come, o come, Thou Lord of might,
who to thy tribes on Sinai's height
in ancient times did give the law,
in cloud, and majesty, and awe. 

Saturday, I plan to have the children make graham cracker (gingerbread) houses.  I took this idea from Waltzing Matilda from her alternate O Antiphons ideas.  I have extra bags of white chocolate melts so this will be a great way to use them, and I can't stand Gingerbread Houses.  I hate the way they get hard and attract ants.  How does one store a Gingerbread House?  Our kids don't seem to want to eat them past the assembly.  So they'll each make their own and be responsible for either eating it or throwing it out!  Think Gingerbread Village!



O Radix Jesse - O Rod of Jesse's Stem - Dec. 19

Flower

Veni, O Iesse virgula,
ex hostis tuos ungula,
de spectu tuos tartari
educ et antro barathri. 

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse's stem,
form ev'ry foe deliver them
that trust Thy mighty power to save,
and give them vict'ry o'er the grave.

Here I like Jessica's idea of getting a Christmas Poinsettia for the home.  This one's pretty easy to do and with the busy-ness of Sunday, I need easy.  The three older girls are singing at the 8:30AM Mass at St. Agnes in the children's choir so it will be an early start for which I may need an afternoon nap.




O Clavis Davidica - O Key of David - Dec. 20

Keychains

Veni, Clavis Davidica,
regna reclude caelica,
fac iter tutum superum,
et claude vias inferum.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
and open wide our heav'nly home,
make safe the way that leads on high,
that we no more have cause to sigh.

The Holy Spirit comes through again on this one!  I remembered earlier today that I purchased key chains in Spain for the children.  In one of the gift shops in Granada I found keychains with names on them.  I remember selecting one for each of the kids.  The names are all written in Spanish with a little explanation of the name.  "Granada" is printed on each one as a souvenir.  Problem was this afternoon I couldn't find the bag of keychains.  I started to think I'd forgotten to pack it back in Spain.  I mentioned this to Daddy when we were out this evening.  He assured me that he had taken them and stored them away for safekeeping!  I love that man!!


O Oriens - O Dayspring - Dec. 21

Sun rising in the East

Veni, veni O Oriens,
solare nos adveniens,
noctis depelle nebulas,
dirasque mortis tenebras. 

O come, Thou Dayspring from on high,
and cheer us by thy drawing nigh;
disperse the gloomy clouds of night
and death's dark shadow put to flight. 

For this day I'm going to do the Breakfast Dinner option.  The kids Love, Love, Love breakfast dinner.  It's a Minnesota favorite!  If I'm ambitious and not harried that day, I might make mini cinnamon sugar muffins, an egg bake, and get fresh-squeezed orange juice.  If not, I know the default waffle breakfast is actually the favorite.  Simple is usually better so I might just stick with the waffles.



O Rex Gentium - O King of the Gentiles - Dec. 22

Crowns or King Cake

Veni, veni, Rex Gentium,
veni, Redemptor omnium,
ut salvas tuos famulos
peccati sibi conscios.

O come, Desire of the nations, bind
in one the hearts of all mankind;
bid every strife and quarrel cease
and fill the world with heaven's peace.

I talked this one over with Daddy, and he didn't seem too thrilled about me making a king cake before Epiphany so I'm stumped.  I thought about crown cookies, but we have a lot of Christmas cookies for the Christmas season.  He suggested a coloring page so I might just have the kids do that.  Any ideas anyone?


O Emmanuel - O God With Us

Nativity Set

Veni, veni, Emmanuel
captivum solve Israel,
qui gemit in exsilio,
privatus Dei Filio. 

Come, O come, Emmanuel,
and ransom captive Israel,
that morns in lonely exile here
until the Son of God appear.


I'm so excited about this one.  We have a nativity set but the figures are ceramic so the kids can't play with it.  I had another smaller set of figurines, but they were also ceramic and broke a few years ago.  I don't really want to buy a plastic Fisher Price set because I don't think the older kids will like it much.  The Play Mobile version seemed nice, but the kids have too many Play Mobile figures and parts that will just become more of a hassle.  However, I fell in love with the figures that are used in the Atrium at Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.  They use Fontanini pieces...the 5" kind that little hands can grab and hold well.  I wanted to buy the My First Fontanini set, but decided against the 3 1/2" size.  So, we'll be purchasing the simple set of three figures as a starter set.  This way we can add the stable, animals, and kings later.  I think I may purchase the kings after Christmas and give them to the kids for Epiphany!


Keep Praying for Your Hubbies!

Grace

All Lyrics taken from Fish Eaters.






No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...