Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Lenten Sacrifice

This is definately proving itself to be Holy Week!  All of the children have been sick over the last week with colds, Nicholas included.  I knew it wasn't a good idea for him to catch a cold or to be so congested, but I was optimistic that things would improve solely with the breastfeeding. 

That was until last night.  Nick had very labored breathing after I fed him at 10:30PM.  He was literally struggling to get a breath after bouts of coughing loaded with congestion that he just couldn't cough up on his own.  After calling the nurseline at Fairview and talking to the peds doctor on call, Paul & I decided to run Nick over to the ER at Fairview.  We spent the next few hours giving Nick a neb treatment, getting an ivy ready to go in the case he'd need fluids, getting his blood drawn to check for a bacterial infection, getting a couple of swabs for Flu and RSV, and getting a chest X-ray to check for fluid in his lungs (pneumonia). 

Thankfully, everything came back negative.  However, my heart sank when the attending physician said that he wanted Nick admitted to Fairview Children's for overnight observation.  Of course, I wanted Nick to be well, but I also wanted my normal routine to stay that way....a routine.  You know:  go to bed, wake up, breakfast, feed & take care of baby, attend to the other children, join them for a Lenten Tea at a friend's house today.  All those plans went quickly out the window, and we had to change course.  I ended up sleeping for an hour in a chair with my head rested on pillows at Nick's bedside in the ER until the EMT's showed up to transport Nick to Children's via Life Link.  Although, he wasn't critical, they still had to "do their jobs."  Thankfully, Paul was by my side the whole time sleeping on a very uncomfortable, two-seater quasi-sofa...what a trooper!  He stayed with us until Nick was transported.  That was at 3AM.

At Children's, we then began the retelling of our sad tale and how we ended up bringing Nick in.  There were more checks, his admission, and then trying to get us both situated for the remainder of the night.  We both slept about 2 1/2 hours until the morning shift of nurses came in for vitals and more checks.  So now here I am getting comfortable using all the family facilities for those families with children who are much sicker than Nick.  He's actually doing wonderfully and is due to be discharged any moment.  His breathing is better, he has good color, is nursing well, and is currently napping.

All is good...I just really miss the kids and Paul.  Actually, Paul came to the hospital to drop off some much needed food supplies for me.  Here I am working my program under all circumstances!  Thank God for the sanity!  In keeping with our love of goofing off together, we stole away to the Village Wok only walking distance from the hospital for a nice lunch date!  Now that's what I call making the best of a bad situation...Cheers.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about baby Nick. We'll keep praying that he makes a full recovery and your family will "go with the flow" this week. Thanks again for having us over. You are all so special and we value your friendship!
    Heather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather, and likewise!:) Correction to this post: "IV" instead of "ivy"...crazy lack of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you guys! Hospital stays stink and are scary! Hope you go home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amy. We were actually discharged yesterday at 5:30PM. Nick is doing much better...breathing better, not as congested, not such a bad cough anymore. He never had a problem nursing even with all that congestion & trouble breathing...what can I say...he loves to eat!;) So today, I'm back to the same old...actually I'm working on Jane's Easter dress. Can you say, "Craft Basket Wednesday?" Take care...praying for you to with your injury!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh! That is scary! I am glad you're home, and I continue to pray for healing. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sarah. He looks so good today and his breathing and congestion continue to improve. Thanks to all of you for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...