Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Latest!

Again, here's the latest since I've been off-line for about a week or even longer.

Last Wednesday, I was trying to get a pot roast done in the afternoon before my nap, but I had an accident instead. As I was trying to lower the roast into very hot oil in my pressure cooker, the roast slipped out of my hands and sprayed up onto my right hand and face. I quickly ran cold water over my hand and wiped down my face. I called Daddy at work, and he came home right away. I could see that something was wrong with my hand. My face was ok, but my hand was way different.

After a little while at urgent care and lining up a neighbor to help with the kids, I found that I had second degree and, maybe, third degree burns. That began a series of doctor visits, dressings, and wound cleanings plus tons of silver sulfadiazine.

This morning, I had a visit to the burn center at HCMC in downtown Minneapolis. After their assessment, they ruled out third degree burns (thank God!) and surgery (skin grafting). My hand will take 14-21 days to heal and we have to keep up with washings and dressings. I have a follow-up appt. at the burn center in the next few days.

It's been a real roller coaster! I've also come to really appreciate having two hands, my right especially!! I am really blessed that worse didn't happen.

Thanks to all who have been praying for a good outcome.:)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Grace. So glad for the good news so far. Hang in there!
    Love, Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your prayers. Paul washed and redressed my hand this morning...first time I've really taken a look at it!:( It looks pretty bad, but I'm so hopeful it will heal nicely with no scars. It's also painful and they say pain is good. So I'm optimistic!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, that's so scary! I'm glad to hear you won't have to get skin grafts. And I hope it heals fast for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your note, Heather! I have another appt. tomorrow morning so I'll see what they say about the next few days and how it's really healing. I can use my hand pretty well now. I just have to get around the bandages...I have to use a glove. Other than that, there's not much excruciating pain. It's worse at times.:( It should take 2-3 weeks to heal.:)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Thanks for keeping up the conversation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...